What we do
Based on the vision of the Challenges Forum, that sustainable peace is strengthened through effective peace operations and multilateral peace operation partnerships, an overarching function of the Challenges Forum is to facilitate networking and dialogue, thereby informing the conversation and influencing the global agenda on peace operations.
The Challenges Forum’s main approaches are:
- To contribute to the enhancement of the international capability and capacities to plan, conduct and evaluate peace operations;
- To contribute to the implementation of global initiatives, including Challenges Forum recommendations and guidance.
- To be a thought-provoking, and innovative global network sharing knowledge and good practices, and creating bridges between different key actors, dimensions, and approaches such as: Civilian – military – police; UN – UN Member States including P5 and T/PCC – regional organizations -host countries of peace operations; Theory- policy – practice;
Guiding principles for the Challenges Forum Partnership are:
- To contribute to the work of peace operations in strengthening good governance, rule of law and human rights;
- To contribute to more gender responsive peace operations;
- To be an inclusive global platform with a broad and balanced representation;
- To convene an impartial and informal space for dialogue to contribute to shared understanding, and generate innovative ideas and results towards more effective peace operations;
- To seek to mitigate the environmental effects of our global work, e.g. through use of digital approaches on our platform.
The purpose of the Challenges Forum Strategy 2019-2023 is to create an overall framework, further detailed in the Annual Operational Plans, for the Partnership’s road ahead the coming years. The strategy presents the vision, mission, principles, and approaches of the Challenges Forum Partnership, and defines its strategic objectives for 2019-2023. It was adopted by the Challenges Forum Partner Meeting on June 27, 2019 after a silent procedure following the meeting on June 12. The two most important Strategic Objectives, or results, that the Challenges Partnership wants to contribute during 2019-2023 are:
Strategic Objective 1: Effective implementation of the development and reform of UN peace operations and related regional partnerships
Strategic Objective 2: UN and regional partners have more effective mission leadership and strategic & operational management capacity
To find out more, please feel free to download the strategy.
As made evident in the independent review and evaluation of the Challenges Forum Partnership’s work 2008-2018, it has and it continues to contribute to a range of results in key areas of peace operations.
- Contributes to and raises awareness around key UN policies, such as the processes leading to the Capstone doctrine for peacekeeping, the Strategic Guidance Framework for International Police Peacekeeping.
- Keeps leadership to the forefront of the agenda and contributes to leadership development initiatives, particularly through the Considerations on Leadership in UN Peace Operations manual.
- Builds trust between key stakeholders in peace operations by providing an impartial platform for dialogue and action for improving effectiveness of peace operations.
Our publications, seminars and events result from extensive consultations with experts, partners and stakeholders in the field. These in turn feed into a plethora of fora and policy debates, thus constituting a significant contribution to on-going UN reform initiatives.
In sum, the Challenges Forum’s concept and doctrine development proves essential to the formulation of policies that underpin effective peace operations today. In close co-operation with the UN and regional organizations, we strive to continually deliver cutting-edge ideas in all aspects of our work.